poetry critical

online poetry workshop

Thread

Return To Index1-10 of 27
why do you read poetry?  Virgil  21 Oct 08 12:28AM Thread Closed

what are your motivations for reading poetry? for inspiration from the muse? entertainment? to give you a new perspective?

re: why do you read poetry?  unknown  21 Oct 08 12:58AM Thread Closed

To read badly composed examples of English prose, I suppose; who knows.

Hell’s Bells, who can tell, I only write; bad doggerel.

Mor.

re: why do you read poetry?  netskyIam  21 Oct 08 1:11AM Thread Closed

I don't read poetry.  

So that answers the question fully enough.

In return I expect a great, great nothingness, which will come whether I read or write poetry or not.

However, in poetry of my own making, most of it dreadful, I hope that some tiny portion of it may help future humans to feel more at ease about themselves, and begin living life alive from the beginning, instead of, say, from middle age, by which time most people, like myself, have settled into a condition of lasting contentment, no matter the future, or odds against our microscopic Selves.  We all win at the end by ceasing to be a bother or drain upon others, or even, ourselves.  

I fear nothing and no-one at all.  I do not like poetry much, other than my own,
and of course, some of the great humorists' poetry---I like them best of all.

I think life is serious and busy enough that poetry should best be for amusement and instruction on how to live life fully alive, refusing to be unhappy, being the main goal of life, as I see it now.

re: why do you read poetry?  unknown  21 Oct 08 1:21AM Thread Closed

Yes, I wish I had read poetry when I was young, I probably would not have such an aversion to it now.

My main problem recently is and was that I always thought I was reading prose, nobody ever told me it was poetry.

Mor.

re: why do you read poetry?  netskyIam  21 Oct 08 1:53AM Thread Closed

A little ode in prose to Mor:

I like his verse, irregular or not. He is learning by doing, just as we all must do.
But what sets him apart, is that his verse almost always contains some of the most delicate and intelligent logic; truly sublimed thought.  

He is the essence of poetry--poetry being the compaction and incitement toward higher thought, even in the case of "doggerel"

I can think offhand of no finer poem that that ribald piece by John Wilmot, which I posted here in some other thread, yesterday.

It is as classic and clean, though erotic, as anything before or since.

muff divers forever,

men

re: why do you read poetry?  trochee  21 Oct 08 5:26AM Thread Closed

why do you write poetry?

re: why do you read poetry?  unknown  21 Oct 08 6:17AM Thread Closed

> Yes, I wish I had read poetry when I was young, I probably would not
> have such an aversion to it now.
>
> My main problem recently is and was that I always thought I was
> reading prose, nobody ever told me it was poetry.
>
> Mor.

really?  if only you had met joey earlier in life.

re: why do you read poetry?  unknown  21 Oct 08 6:31AM Thread Closed

i like to look at naked

words

re: why do you read poetry?  geckodrome  21 Oct 08 7:54AM Thread Closed

it constructs up a world, and when i'm there i'm verbal and things connect, and i connect with the author like i was meeting her in person and i'm real because i've seen someone else inside-out like me and not like me at all.

> what are your motivations for reading poetry? for inspiration from the
> muse? entertainment? to give you a new perspective?

re: why do you read poetry?  unknown  21 Oct 08 8:02AM Thread Closed

the more we become abstract the more we become creatures of symbolism chasing photon mediated connections while the grass between us dies.

Return To Index
1 2 3 | Next

0.332s