poetry critical

online poetry workshop

Thread

Return To Index1-10 of 12
1990's (whence neon came forth)  OKcomputer  22 Oct 08 1:08AM Thread Closed

i would be more than slightly interested to hear opinions and thoughts and recollections regarding the fashion, music, movies and artwork of the nineties.

This time in history is fascinating to me. I spent my childhood there. One can identify a movie produced during the nineties by the overly sentimental background music, heavy on the saxophone. Grunge music is very interesting too. Masculinity and femininity became sloppy separately. Fast food became popular -- an everyday staple. (Sorta like starbucks now?)

I remember driving around with my dad in his car. He listened to cassette tapes: Live, REM, Metallica, Smashing Pumpkins. (He was/is a pretty mainstream dude.) Sleeveless Michael Jordan t-shirts and cut-off sweat pants. Clunky Nike shoes. Long hair.  Stale french fries between the seats of the car.

As for me I was a big fan of Pee-Wee Herman and Ren and Stimpy. (Too young to recognize the innuendos back then, but my brain marked them for later use.)

Oh, and the internet. The websites from back then compared to what we have now. Blue hyperlinks and vertical layouts requiring one to scroll up and down. Midi files, toot-toot-toot. Animated gifs were an orgasmic rarity. (witnessed via WebTV.)

the nineties were sort of pathetic??????????????????????????????? like everyone went hibernating

re: 1990's (whence neon came forth)  unknown  22 Oct 08 1:45AM Thread Closed

As for me I was a big fan of Pee-Wee Herman and Ren and Stimpy. (Too young to recognize the innuendos back then, but my brain marked them for later use.)

Except you also claim to have dropped out from university five years ago as well as a further time where you boast having , already, two degrees under your belt.

Whatever makes you look good.  I've lost respect.

re: 1990's (whence neon came forth)  OKcomputer  22 Oct 08 1:53AM Thread Closed

whaaaat the fuuuuuck . . . ?

re: 1990's (whence neon came forth)  OKcomputer  22 Oct 08 1:58AM Thread Closed

Somebody please don't slap me too hard for saying this, but I'm beginning to feel like this forum follows the act of a nursing home, and everyone is walking around with piss-stained sweat pants and reciting nonsense.

I'm intrigued.

re: 1990's (whence neon came forth)  netskyIam  22 Oct 08 2:41AM Thread Closed

^

You are right to be intrigued.  The unkies post what's up their sleeves;
and naught but crap can they deliver, infertile females, who hate all forever.
Now they focus ire on you. But I am here and shelter true

women who are bold and bright and bring forth truth into the light
and train their mates, w'ere men or women: six of a dozen are rotten lemons.

But you are OK. I see that well.  And would wind the winch at your water well
if oaken buckets and gentlemen were ever to be borne upon earth again.

re: 1990's (whence neon came forth)  geckodrome  22 Oct 08 8:29AM Thread Closed

probably it's just cause you're looking up at everyone and we're all just giants of the literary world. really, it's sesame street algonquin roundtable let's play doctor. i think it's snack time now or i would type out some more.

> Somebody please don't slap me too hard for saying this, but I'm
> beginning to feel like this forum follows the act of a nursing home,
> and everyone is walking around with piss-stained sweat pants and
> reciting nonsense.
>
> I'm intrigued.

re: 1990's (whence neon came forth)  chuckle_s  22 Oct 08 10:06AM Thread Closed

hmm, the 90s,eh? just a few memorable moments

bad guys not gettin their due -- oj, bernardo and homolka
finance -- n.a. had a pretty nifty recession from around 92-5/6
movies -- hollywood had begun to run out of ideas even then, but tech advances really ramped up, so all my marvel heroes are now reaping the benefits
art -- the province of ontario spent some stupid (seemingly) amount of dough to buy a huge canvas that was all white with a couple thick red lines on it, that was a big deal
fashion -- ??? what would i know
world affairs -- u.s. started bombing their erstwhile friends iraq. never stopped. even under clinton, people. never stopped.
steven king published his 7 thousandth book. somewhere a groundhog named willy cries.

re: 1990's (whence neon came forth)  mr_e  23 Oct 08 10:06AM Thread Closed

90's for me in northern ireland:

ON TV: teenage mutant hero turtles, thundercats, Ren and stimpy also, simpsons, married with children, BLOSSOM (yes, a part of my history I am not proud of), Roseanne, cheers, quantum leap, roots...

memorable Movies: planes trains and automobiles, home alone, problem child, groundhog day, uncle buck, the great outdoors, lion king, terminator, robocop, police accademy 1-100, gremlins, critters..
etc

memorable music: oasis, Nirvana, cast, 2unlimited, prodigy, "believe" by cher!
Ireland winning eurovision EVERY year.

POLITICAL: good friday agreement, a bomb destroyed my favourite pub- injured a few people.  mo mowlam visited the east down institute where i was being educated- she took off her wig, much to the delight of everyone!
Paramilataries call a Ceasefire- David Trimble visits my sisters school, he is very spotty

re: 1990's (whence neon came forth)  mr_e  23 Oct 08 10:07AM Thread Closed

oh, and bill clinton in belfast

re: 1990's (whence neon came forth)  chuckle_s  23 Oct 08 11:13AM Thread Closed

bill clinton was a major boon to political cartoonists of every stripe

actually, come to think of it, most every president of the us since i showed up has been

a nation led by a caricature, what's so bad about that

Return To Index
1 2 | Next

0.187s